So, I guess I’ve got to make good on that promise to find something positive about the insects I despise. If you missed that post, you can read it HERE. Well, numero uno on the list was the housefly. I really could include all flies in my list, but for the sake of time, we’ll stick to the general, buzz-your-head, land-on-your-food, annoying, gross housefly.
Alright, so I did find some interesting stuff out on these guys.
- Did you know that houseflies existed 65 million years ago? Which happens to also be the time that dinosaurs became extinct. We can only assume they were just as annoyed as we are with them and perhaps couldn’t take it anymore. Just a theory.
- Flies only have two main eyes but each of those contain 4,000 little eyes, or facets. Now it makes sense how they can continuously land on the exact same spot on your leg while you’re napping.
- The stage of the fly’s life cycle after the egg is actually called the larval stage. Fancy word for maggot, if you ask me. Ew.
- Flies can smell over 750 yards. Which also explains how there can be not a single fly in the area until you open your lunch…or your dog does his business. Double ew.
- The housefly’s favourite colour is red. But considering they land on poo, I’m not sure how much colour really matters.
- The average housefly lives for approximately 21 days. Unless he’s in my house because I’m the Fly Ninja.
And last but not least…
Flies are good at detecting movement. Fast movement is seen as threatening so you’re best bet is to stalk slowly.